Friday, April 6, 2018

Babymoon to Lake Geneva, Wisconsin

March 18th through the 20th my husband and I took our babymoon. When we first started dating, our first overnight trip was a romantic getaway to Lake Geneva, Wisconsin. We stayed at the Mill Creek Hotel which was under construction. The stay was so memorable, we decided to return for our babymoon.

We left our house on Sunday morning and began the drive up. We stopped in Chicago to have dinner with a college friend of my husband. We ate at Greek Islands on Halsted. I had never eaten at an authentic Greek restaurant before and the food was amazing. I ordered a combo plate with gyros and pastichio which is basically a Greek lasagna. After we left Chicago, we headed to our hotel and checked in just after 4 PM. The hotel is amazing. Since we were there last, they added a pool and a continental breakfast. I mean, take a look at these pics of our room I took after we got checked in:

When you first walk in, the bathroom is on the right side.
This is what you see from the bathroom door.
If you go and stand next to the toilet and look on the opposite wall,
you see this awesome jet tub with an amazing shower.
From the bathroom door looking the other direction, you see the kitchen.
This little hotel room has a nice kitchenette!
Here is another view of the kitchen from standing next to the table (below).
For this picture, I am standing by the counter/island in the kitchen area.
From the end of the table to the right is the separate bedroom.
It has its own door and little closet.
Ignore my pregnancy pillow on the bed!
And this is the little living room view from the doorway to the bedroom.
The door off to the right leads to an outdoor patio. Our patio didn't have
a great view this time so I didn't take a picture.
This room was also the "bronze room" which is the lowest quality room they offer. Last time we were there, I'm pretty sure we had a gold room which was very similar, but the view from our third door balcony was gorgeous. Anyway, a little bit after we checked in some friends who live about an hour away came to meet us for dinner. After some discussion, we decided to go to Sprecher's for dinner. Sprecher's is located right next door to the hotel. While my food was good, it wasn't amazing, but the company was! After eating, we all went back to our hotel room and talked for a few hours. After they left, my husband and I laid in bed and watched the Food Network on television. We are so exciting!

The next morning, we were up early because we always are. We got dressed and went next door (literally, the room next to ours) to have the continental breakfast. This is the first hotel I've been in that actually had an attendant who helped with your food. If you wanted a waffle, she made it for you and brought it to your table. If you wanted an omelet or a sandwich of some kind, she would make it and bring it to you. They also had the normal continental breakfast things like juice, coffee, yogurt, cereal, oatmeal, bagels, french toast (the kind you just warm in a toaster), pastries, fruit, etc. We both had a waffle and then shared a bagel with cream cheese. I had a string cheese while waiting on my waffle. I also drank a glass of orange juice and some hot cocoa. We were in there a while!

After breakfast, we went back to our room and lounged. We had planned to take Monday as a day to relax and had no plans of leaving our room for anything. My husband played a game on the laptop while I laid on the couch and read a book. Around noon, I was tired and decided to take a nap. I slept for about an hour and then decided I was ready to shower. We took a nice long bath in the jet tub and just relaxed and talked for about an hour. We then showered. I decided to lay in bed and watch TV so my husband joined me.

Around 5 or so, I had a craving for some ice cream. After some research, I discovered a little ice cream place we went to the last time we were visiting. It was only a few blocks away. Being as I had just put on pajamas after my shower, my husband was awesome and went to get our ice cream. The ice cream place is called Kilwins and we each got two scoops. I got some kind of fudge ice cream which was vanilla ice cream with thick fudge ribbons in it. So good! My second scoop was cookies and cream which was also good. After eating ice cream, I decided it was time for another nap.

I slept for about an hour and then got up and read some more. Around 8 PM, we decided we should probably eat dinner. We had brought everything we would need to make cheese tortellini in a pink sauce so we made that and ate it. Shortly after that, we got ready for bed, laid down, and watched some more TV before sleeping.

Tuesday morning we were woken by a phone call at 7 AM. It was my husband's sister. My in-laws were on a cruise in the Galapagos Islands and my mother-in-law had some major internal bleeding. They had rushed her from the cruise ship to an emergency clinic on one of the islands around midnight. She wasn't very stable and they weren't able to move her to a real hospital at that time.

After the call, we were reasonably upset. We showered, got ready, ate breakfast, and headed home. We got home much earlier than we expected and decided, while Lake Geneva and the Mill Creek Hotel are amazing, we will not be going back. The first time we were there, almost three years prior, my mother-in-law (well, not yet as my husband and I were dating then) had a heart attack. Why tempt fate by going back a third time?

My mother-in-law was transferred to a hospital in Guayaquil, Ecuador on Thursday afternoon. The doctors there figured out she had an ulcer which had already began healing. The following Monday, one week after her initial scare, my in-laws flew back home. She is doing great now and we are so thankful!

No comments:

Post a Comment